What is fibrin sealant topical?
Fibrin sealant is made of two substances from human plasma that work together to help your blood clot.
Fibrin sealant topical is used to help control bleeding during surgery when other ways to close a wound or incision (such as stitches, bands, or heat) cannot be used. Fibrin sealant topical may also be used to prevent leaks from a wound left in stomach tissue after a colostomy is removed.
Fibrin sealant topical is sometimes used to help skin tissues stick together during skin graft procedures or cosmetic surgery.
Fibrin sealant topical may also be used for purposes not listed in this medication guide.
What happens if I overdose?
Since this medicine is applied by a healthcare professional in a medical setting, an overdose is unlikely to occur.
For the Consumer
Applies to fibrin sealant topical: solution
Other dosage forms:
- topical application pad, topical application powder, topical application sheet, topical application sponge
Along with its needed effects, fibrin sealant topical (the active ingredient contained in Tisseel) may cause some unwanted effects. Although not all of these side effects may occur, if they do occur they may need medical attention.
Check with your doctor or nurse immediately if any of the following side effects occur while taking fibrin sealant topical:Less common
- Collection of blood or fluids under the skin
- deep, dark purple bruise
- itching, pain, redness, or swelling of the skin, wound, or treated area
- Blurred vision
- chest pain, discomfort, or tightness
- difficulty breathing
- difficulty swallowing
- dizziness, faintness, or lightheadedness when getting up suddenly from a lying or sitting position
- fast, slow, pounding, or irregular heartbeat or pulse
- flushing, redness of the skin
- hives, itching, skin rash
- large, hive-like swelling on the face, eyelids, lips, tongue, throat, hands, legs, feet, or sex organs
- lightheadedness, dizziness, or fainting
- numbness or tingling in the face, arms, or legs
- pain in the chest, groin, or legs, especially the calves
- puffiness or swelling of the eyelids or around the eyes, face, lips, or tongue
- severe, sudden headache
- shortness of breath
- slurred speech
- sudden loss of coordination
- sudden, severe weakness or numbness in the arm or leg
- trouble healing
- trouble speaking or walking
- unusual tiredness or weakness
- unusually warm skin
Some side effects of fibrin sealant topical may occur that usually do not need medical attention. These side effects may go away during treatment as your body adjusts to the medicine. Also, your health care professional may be able to tell you about ways to prevent or reduce some of these side effects. Check with your health care professional if any of the following side effects continue or are bothersome or if you have any questions about them:Incidence not known
- Burning, crawling, itching, numbness, prickling, "pins and needles", or tingling feelings