Uses of V-Cil-K
Penicillin V potassium is a prescription medication used to treat mild to moderate infections of the ears, nose, throat, and skin. It is also used to treat scarlet fever and to prevent rheumatic fever.
This medication may be prescribed for other uses. Ask your doctor or pharmacist for more information.
Before taking penicillin V potassium, tell your doctor about all of your medical conditions. Especially tell your doctor if you:
- are allergic to penicillin V potassium or to any of its ingredients
- are allergic to similar antibiotics (penicillins, cephalosporins)
- have a history of other allergies
- have a history of asthma
- have kidney problems
- have stomach problems
- are pregnant or breastfeeding
Tell your doctor about all the medicines you take including prescription and non-prescription medicines, vitamins, and herbal supplements.
V-Cil-K and Lactation
Tell your doctor if you are breastfeeding or plan to breastfeed.
Penicillin V potassium has been detected in human breast milk. Because of the possibility for adverse reactions in nursing infants from Penicillin VK, a choice should be made whether to stop nursing or to stop use of penicillin V potassium. The importance of the drug to the mother should be considered.
Take penicillin V potassium exactly as prescribed.
This medication comes in tablet and oral (by mouth) solution forms and may be taken 2 to 4 times a day, with or without food.
Continue to take this medication even if you feel well. Do not stop taking penicillin V potassium without talking to your doctor.
If you miss a dose, take the missed dose as soon as you remember. If it is almost time for the next dose, skip the missed dose and take your next dose at the regular time. Do not take two doses of penicillin V potassium at the same time.
If you take too much penicillin V potassium, call your healthcare provider or local Poison Control Center, or seek emergency medical attention right away.
- Store penicillin V potassium tablets at room temperature between 20° to 25°C (68° to 77°F).
- Store penicillin V potassium solution (after mixing with water) in the refrigerator. Discard any unused solution (not tablets) after 14 days.
- Keep the bottle for the solution tightly closed.
- Keep this and all medicines out of the reach of children.