Streptomycin (Intramuscular Route)
Name: Streptomycin (Intramuscular Route)
- Streptomycin Intramuscular Route side effects
- Streptomycin Intramuscular Route serious side effects
- Streptomycin Intramuscular Route dosage
- Streptomycin Intramuscular Route dosage forms
- Streptomycin Intramuscular Route works by
- Streptomycin Intramuscular Route injection
- Streptomycin Intramuscular Route used to treat
- Streptomycin Intramuscular Route is used to treat
- Streptomycin Intramuscular Route effects of
- Streptomycin Intramuscular Route the effects of
Streptomycin injection is used to treat moderate to severe bacterial infections in many different parts of the body.
Streptomycin belongs to the class of medicines known as aminoglycoside antibiotics. It works by killing bacteria or preventing their growth. However, this medicine will not work for colds, flu, or other virus infections.
Streptomycin injection is usually used for serious bacterial infections for which other medicines may not work. However, it may also cause some serious side effects, including damage to your hearing and sense of balance. These side effects may be more likely to occur in elderly patients and newborn infants. You and your doctor should talk about the benefits of this medicine as well as the risks.
This medicine is to be administered only by or under the immediate supervision of your doctor.
This product is available in the following dosage forms:
- Powder for Solution
Appropriate studies performed to date have not demonstrated pediatric-specific problems that would limit the usefulness of streptomycin injection in children. However, this medicine should be used with caution in young infants.
No information is available on the relationship of age to the effects of streptomycin injection in geriatric patients. However, elderly patients are more likely to have kidney problems, which may require caution and an adjustment in the dose for patients receiving streptomycin injection.
Studies in women suggest that this medication poses minimal risk to the infant when used during breastfeeding.